You can blame Kalinara for this one. She tagged everybody.
First, select your ten fictional characters (from any medium) by whichever method you like best. Then answer the questions below.
Since this is a comics blog, I am going to alter this slightly and only pick comic characters. That will make this more...intertesting, I think. You know what, we are going to go one step further. As I love Marvel's original 2099 comics, we are going all 2099.
1) Spider-Man 2099
2) Metalhead (X-Men 2099)
3) Punisher 2099
4) Meanstreak (X-Men 2099)
5) Cerebra (X-Men 2099)
6) Bloodhawk (X-Men 2099)
7) Fearmaster (Punisher 2099 villain)
8) Junkpile (X-Men 2099 villain)
9) Skullfire (X-Men 2099)
10) Mutagen (Spider-Man 2099 villain)
1. Divide the list up by even and odd. Which group of five would make a better Five Man Band (like a Power Rangers team)? Who would you slot in each position: Leader, Lancer (second-in-command), Big Guy, Smart Guy, The Chick? If you think the team would be improved by swapping one character between the even and odd groups, which ones would you switch?
Team Odd: Spider-Man 2099, Punisher 2099, Cerebra, Fearmaster, Skullfire
Team Even: Metalhead, Meanstreak, Bloodhawk, Junkpile, Mutagen
Of the two teams, I think Team Odd would function better. Team Even is more of a brute squad. Lots of heavy hitters without any real leadership.
Big Guys: Skullfire/Bloodhawk
Smart Guys: Spider-Man/Meanstreak
Chicks (by default): Fearmaster/Mutagen
I suppose I could switch up the roles to put Punisher in lead so my only female can be the chick, which would put Skullfire as lancer and Fearmaster as the big guy. Which almost works. If I was to swap out Fearmaster for Mutagen, that alternate layout would look as such...
Big Guy: Mutagen
Smart Guy: Spider-Man
Which, really, makes for quite a decent team.
2. Gender-swap 2, 8 & 10. Which character would have the most change in their story arc? Which the least? Would any of these characters have to have a complete personality change to be believable as the opposite sex?
Gender Swapping: Metalhead, Junkpile, Mutagen
I see Mutagen being the most likely to have this happen. What with the instant evolution to cope with threats, it is plausible for this to happen anyhow.
Metalhead would also work well as a woman. He was a fairly nurtiring character, and his mutant ability to take on the properties of metals he touched coupled with his musical carreer would not require any real alterations to the character. Othewr than a slight wardrobe change to make him/her more age appropriate.
So, that leaves Junkpile as the most difficult to change. I suppose his aggressive nature would require a little bit of a tweak to tone down so that (s)he is not viewed as a raging bitch instead of just an asshole. Really, though, even this character's story arc would not require much change. I could see a sort of love interest in Xian with a hatread/jealousy angle with Cerebra though.
3. Compare the matchups of 1 & 8 and 5 & 9. (Ignore canon sexual preferences for the moment.) Which couple would be more compatible? Which couple would be more plausible to people from either principal's home culture?
Spider-Man 2099 loves Junkpile?
Cerebra loves Skullfire?
There is no consideration here. Cerebra/Skullfire would be quite workable. Both mutants. Male/female preferenced maintained (despite instructions to the contrary). Plus, Skullfire like the stronger women. Granted, he was more into physical strength and dangerous fun, but Cerebra has a bit of a wild side to her that needs letting out. I also think she would be good for him to calm his own impulses down a bit.
4. Your team is 3, 4 & 9. The mission consists of a social challenge, a mental challenge and a physical challenge. Which team member do you assign to each challenge?
The Team: Punisher 2099, Meanstreak, Skullfire
Punisher has to do the physical challenge, because it is all he would be capable of doing. He's not really a thinker or a social expert. Meanstreak, bieng a scientist by nature, would hav to handle the mental challenge. So, Skullfire is left to deal with the social challenge. As long as this takes place before he went all crazy after the Theater of Pain, he coudl handle that just fine.
5. 7 becomes 1's boss for a week in some plausible fashion. How's their working relationship?
Spider-Man 2099 working for Fearmaster.
Oddly enough, in general terms, this actually is canon. Fearmaster is a head of an Alchemax subsidiary and Spider-Man works for them. I see the working relationship being strained. Miguel (Spider-Man) is a bit of a trouble employee, not really liking the way Alchemax does things, as well as moonlighting as a thorn in the corporation's side. Fearmaster is a sadistic bastard who likes to use his alien hand to mess people up. Not the healthiest of workign relationships.
6. 2 finds him/her/itself inserted into 6's continuity. As far as anyone other than 2 or 6 is concerned, they've always been there. What role would 2 be presumed to have had in 6's story, and could they fit in without going wonky?
Metalhead and Bloodhawk for this one.
No need to answer. They are from the same continuity already. Hell, they are technically teammates.
7. 3 and 5 get three wishes. The catch is that they have to agree on all three wishes before they get the benefits of any of them. What three wishes would they make?
Punisher 2099 and Cerebra share some wishes.
The way I see it, they would end up only able to agree on one thing. They want a stop to crime. They have no actual common ground on methods, but that much they would agree on. Probably would go something like this.
Wish One: See each other's perspectives.
Wish Two: End to crime/corruption
Wish Three: Held for further use.
8. 1 and 2 are brainwashed by a one-time artifact that works even on people immune to mind control to attack and kill 4. They keep their normal personality, skills and competence level, except any Code vs. Killing has been turned off. Can 4 survive? How?
Spider-Man 2099 and Metalhead try to kill Meanstreak.
Meanstreak has a chance, but only if he can figure out what is happening before the others get him. He's fast enough to evade any capture, but Spider-Man is probably just as smart (if not smarter) than Henri (Meanstreak). With Eddie (Metalhead) in there, the whole betrayal of friendship is an issue. I think in the big picture, Meanstreak will evade them for a while but end up dead.
9. 6, 7, 9 & 10 must help an orphanage full of small and depressed children have a merry Christmas. Who does what, knowing that at the very least the kids will be expecting a visit from Santa?
Bloodhawk, Fearmaster, Skullfire, and Mutagen do Christmas.
Fearmaster, in an uncharacteristic fit of altruism, would be able to make the presents. And good ones at that. Solid gold or diamond toys. Healing the sick kids. Other cool stuff like that.
Bloodhawk woudl likely be the one to deliver the presents, and maybe take the kids flying. He would have some difficluty just because of his appearance, though.
Skullfire totally gets to light the tree. Maybe entertain the kids a bit.
Mutagen would have to take the santa role. Again, with his evolutionary powers I imagine he could find a way to do the Santa thing. Fearmaster may even be able to help with that alien magic hand of his.
10. 3 and 8 are challenged to circumnavigate the Earth in eighty days or less, using only forms of transportation invented before 1900. Can they do it, or will they be fatally distracted by sidequests or their own personality conflicts?
Punisher 2099 and Junkpile do an old school road trip.
They have no chance. They would be too distracted with fighting. Either each other or just about anyone they meet along the way. It is funny how the two S.H.I.E.L.D. 2099 guys end up together like that, though. Probably Doom's doing.
Anyone who reads this and cares to be tagged, go for it.