Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Something New

First of all, no comics for a little while (again). I am starting up college again, and had to spend what free money I had to pay tuition. Goodbye tax return.

Anyhow, I have just started a project which I have had stewing in my brain since December of 2005. A little comic project.

That's right humble (non-)readers, I am attempting to write a comic book series of my own. partially because I had the idea, which works best as a comic (or animated series). Partially because, dammit, I want to write a comic book. So, I startted to rough something out tonight. Nothing too fancy or great yet. Just a bit of establishing text and an openign scene.

It is slow going for me, as I am completely unfamiliar with the script format. I am much more of a short story or poetry guy, so attempting to write in a way that is comfortable while still managing to end up as a comic script is proving difficult. I have hope, though. Having read the Eisner books, the McCloud books, and Peter Davids book on comics (as well as browsing a small handfull of actual comic scripts and looking into a couple more books on the subject that are more for writers than artists) I feel that I have enough of a basic foundation to start working.

I would like this to eventually become more than just a fun diversion. Once i have something more solid down of paper (or computer as the case may be) I will probably start shopping around for an artist so this thing can be submitted somewhere for publishing. If needs be, I will just self publish somehow. That, however, is not anywhere near happening just yet. Right now, I experiment and practice.

No comments: