Monday, September 8, 2008

One Month of Comics (Part One)

No excuses. Just comics. Let's get started.

Stormwatch PHD #13: First of all, I was glad this series had originally ended. I had been on the verge of removing it from my pull list anyhow. So, I was surprised to find this in my box. Didn't even know the series was coming back. I have not followed what has happened with Wildstorm stuff recently. So, I have no idea what they are referring to with this issue. In fact, I am completely lost. From reading this, I gather the supers caused the end of the world. Except the supers who didn't. And now there are people in space saving people on earth, but not all of them. And some of these people are supers. Who are good. Or something. Bah, this isn't even close to what the original series was doing, so why even use the same name? Why not just make a new series and go from there? Dropped, for real this time.

Madman Atomic Comics #10: What can I say about this? I have no effing idea what is going on, but I am enjoying every minute of it. Allred still succeeds in impressing me with his art and storytelling every time. I am also a hug fan of the first page recap showing the entire previous issue in thumbnail size. I had forgotten how brilliant the last issue was for the layout alone. The man is a genius.

The Walking Dead #51: Holy fuck, that was one of the creepier issues. Ever since the prison attack, this has been really a different comic. Which is exactly what was promised. I didn't know how this thing would go after such a major change, but wow. This one was great. A slice of life after the recent turmoil. I do have to admit, i was wondering why the person was calling this house. I figured it may have been their old home or a friends house or something. The real answer was even better. Poor Rick, and poor Carl. I think Carl is going to have to really grow up a lot, and fast.

Fables #75: I must admit, I was not expecting this at all. I was shocked back when they first revealed who the Adversary really was. I was even more shocked when the war was announced. Now, it's over, and successfully. I never in a million years would have expected that to happen. I mean, without the Adversary to keep the fables out of the Homelands, what is there left to the series? I am intrigued as to how this will continue on now.

Jack of the Fables #25: As usual, Babe is the real star of this book. I am very interested i how this series has progressed. From a simple "retirement village" for fables to a story dealing with beings more powerful than fables. Literals are quite possibly one of the most nifty ideas I have seen in a comic in ages.

House of Mystery #5: So far, this has been the modern successor to the Sandman series. Lots of creepy, and literary, and strange, and awesome all thrown together. This issue continued that trend. The first story arc is done with, but it leaves many unanswered questions. QUestions that had better be resolved at some point, because I am tired of too many questions and no answers (I mean, I do watch Lost). The midpoint story in this issue was the second best to date (best is still the girl who married the fly, amazing). This one had the most boring narration one could imagine, talking about almost being late to work. What sells it, though, is that everything that is left out of the story is pure excitement. Giant spiders, elder gods, dragons, vampire cats, homeless zombies. The narrator leaves these out, as they are just a part of his everydya world. But, they are the best part of the story. Perfection.

Fallen Angel #29: Bought but not read. Need to reread this series since the last issue I read was #15, and I don't remember much of anything about it.

Red Star: Sword of Lies #3: Another bought but not read, mainly because there is such a delay between issues I can't keep track of what is going on. I just know it is a great series with amazing art. Will read some day when I can get a hold of the rest of the Red Star books.

No comments: