Friday, February 29, 2008

Like a Ton of Bricks

Since I actually have this weeks comics this week, I figure I should read and review the rest of my backlog to get caught up.

Justice League Unlimited #42: This was a sad story. Queen seemed to be trying to get her life together, but everyone else was against her. Wonder Woman made a bit of effort to help, but it couldn't outweigh Green Lantern's dickery or the Royal Flush Gang's tenacity. The ending was at least somewhat upbeat.

Tiny Titans #1: Perfection in a small package. I love everything about this comic. The cute artwork. The references to the regular DCU. The short format of the stories. I think this is by far the best thing I have read in an all-ages comic in forever. If Marvel would repackage their Mini Marvels stuff in this sort of format (as they are pretty much the same thing, just one page at a time), I would buy that as well. And all would be right with the world.

Infinity Inc. #6: As it was in my box, and I didn't want to be a dick about them pulling it and then not buying it, I bought this issue. The last one i get. The cover of this was misleading. the "guest star" eluded to, being Batman, shows up on one page to basically talk with Superman about a crime and then neither is heard from again. It's not even a direct relation to the main characters, just a random crime that ties in with the story. Vaguely interesting lead in to a new arc, but not enough to get me to come back.

The Flash #237: A good issue, but also dropped from my list. I drop this not due to lack of quality, as with the Infinity Inc debacle, but because I just don't feel like spending money on it. Not totally sure why, as it is quite a good book. This issue was fun with Wally and the Kids having some good lines. *shrug*

Batman Detective Comics #841: What a clever idea, and with a great twist as well. The interior artwork was sort of iffy to me, but the cover was made of awesome. I loved how it took Batman a while to solve the case because it was so out of character for Hatter to be acting the way he was. Glad to have this one back from the crossover (which I have not yet read, but own the issues for).

Booster Gold #0: Fun concept. Fun comic. The "Zero Hour" issue of the series, showing the origin of Booster. I liked that he had the chance to change his life for the better, and chose to take the harder road to make sure Ted remained alive. I also love the crazy logic of time travel in this one. Almost makes sense, almost hurts your head. Good end, also.

The Spirit #13 & 14: The Holiday Special was ok. Three stories, each one ok. The first story dealt with criminals in disguise and a tiger tamer. It wasn't to bad, and had a good ending. The second, about a family treasure was also ok with a fun ending. The best, though, was the final story that was virtually word free. That one was a great use of images to tell the story, and something I think Eisner would be proud of. The other issue was the first one with the new team. A fun story, with an interesting mystery involved. Good writing, and lovely artwork. Mike Ploog is one of my favorite artists out there, and it is nice to see him working on his mentor's character.

Teen Titans Year One #2: Another good issue. Less funny than the first one, but still quite a decent story so far. I like the reasoning behind the team getting together, and the way the characters interact. Plus, Aqualad is one of the best loser heroes ever.

Simon Dark #5: I still have no idea what the hell is going on in this series, but I love it. It was very sad about kitty, and the way Simon didn't quite understand that he was special with the not dying by losing your head thing. The best part was wishboning the villain, and the following panel of laughter. It seems like we may be getting a bit more explanation coming up soon-ish. I hope so. Enough to not be quite as lost, without giving it all away just yet.

marvel Adventures: Hulk #8: The Defenders. Surfer is a pansy. Strange is an ineffectual leader. Namor is a dick. Hulk kicks ass. Rick and Monkey are Rick and Monkey. The Nameless One's dialogue with itself was finny at first, then tiresome. At least there was Mini Marvels.

Marvel Adventures: Fantastic Four #32: A very fun story about Ben Grimm and time travel. Old West meets sci-fi. Nothing more needs be said.

Marvel Adventures: Spider-Man #36: A so-so story about Harry Osborne trying to live up to his dad's expectations. Redeemed by the redemption of Harry himself.

Marvel Adventures: The Avengers #21: Crimson Dynamo and Black Widow are both after Iron Man, for different reasons. Not a bad story, and well written as well. The artwork is beautiful. The comic manages to show a sexy Black Widow without being so sexy as to endanger the all ages rating. A hard balance to find. I love Spider-Man whining about the training and how Giant Girl and Hulk were allowed to opt out.

House of M Avengers #3 & 4: Punisher selling out humanity and then redeeming himself. Luke Cage being Luke Cage. Thunderbird being an absolute dick. Kingpin being Kingpin. Black Cat being Black Cat (and dying for it). All leading up to a final confrontation, which leads into the long past House of M. S'ok.

X-Force #1: I dunno. I love the art, most of the time. I love the characters. The story seems decent. I hate the concept, though. I like it when X-Men don't kill, and don't like Cyclops having a black-ops wetwork kind of team. Will probably keep reading, though. It was a fun read.

Runaways #29: Not a bad read. If it was actually coming out on time, I would likely enjoy it more. Thankfully Whedon's run is ending after one more issue. He has done a total of one story arc, and it has taken him forever to do so. Very disappointing. I dislike that he can get away with it, because he's Joss Whedon. I dislike that enough that I can't even remember enough of the issue to review properly. Hopefully the next team will keep an actual schedule (or the book is cancelled until Vaughn decides to return).

The Mighty Avengers #8 & 9: The exact opposite of Whedon, here's Mark Bagley helping to catch this title up after Cho slowed it down. He saves what Bendis is ruining with his stupid thought balloons. We finally see how the symbiote plague was ended, and where it came from. We also get a confrontation with Doom, which is always nice. In fact, we get the most kick ass splash pages of fighting since Nextwave #11. That's not something that is easy to accomplish. Loved the last few pages, with the retro feel.

New Avengers #38 & Annual #2: We see the Hood breach Dr. Strange's defenses and take the Avengers on at their home. Big fight ensues. Strange saves them, but not in a way he is happy with. He leaves the team, and they lose their base of operations. Also, Luke Cage and Jessica Jones look like they are losing their marriage. Which is crappy, especially in the wake of Spider-man's One More Day debacle. I want one solid marriage with characters I like to remain intact.

The Man Called Nova #1: The first Nova annual. An interesting look at his past and future, which may or may not be true. Also, Kvch, homeworld of the Phalanx. Next issue of this will (finally) be what I have been waiting for.

The Order #8: Getting close to eh end, and we have a stellar issue. Good action, good exposition, good background info. This will be one helluva series when it is all over with.

Avengers: The Initiative #9: This is why you don't mess with clones. Or alien tech. And never both together. Taskmaster is pretty cool in this one, both in his using the training to expand his own base of skills and his knowledge of when to bow out of a fight. Gauntlet coma-walking to get more alien tech for a big showdown. This is still one of the best series on the shelves today.

X-Factor #28: A slightly confusing issue, as I missed the whole Messiah Complex crossover (missing one issue in the middle, so can't read it yet). I know enough of what is going on to not be totally lost. Sad to see Rhane go, but it will likely make for a good story for the rest of the team to deal with her leaving. Tattoo Maddrox is pretty hardcore. Strong Guy is still one of my favorite underused characters in the X-Books.

Captain America #34: We have a new Cap. Finally. He's also pretty good. I loved how they managed to highlight the similarities and differences between Caps in a single fight. I also actually felt bad for Tony Stark by the end of this one. Not an easy task anymore.

The Immortal Iron Fist: Orson Randall and the Green Mist of Death: A nice bit of back story for the late Iron Fist. I really want more stories about him and his Confederates of the Curious. This was a nice slice of that, showing the many encounters they had with John Aman. A nice villain/hero thing that turned into mutual respect and eventually a sort of friendship. Goo lead in to the next issue of the Iron Fist series.

Annihilation: Conquest #4: Adam Warlock may be an actual warlock now? Ronan the Accuser has a Phalanx-proof army of robots? Star Lord is fucked, as usual? High Evolutionary may have joined the bad guys? Talk about a suspenseful issue. I need more, now.

Terror Inc. #5: Meh. I read it all. It's over. Funny line at the end. Otherwise, meh.

Ultimate Human #2: More interesting than the last issue. We get some action. We get a cured Hulk. We get more insight into why Hulk is the way he is, and how powerful he just might be. Then the shit hits the fan. Actually looking forward the the next one.

Ultimates 3 #3: Wow, mid scene SPLASH PAGE FIGHT, with no real lead in or resolution. It just sort of happens. I don't know if I should blame Loeb's writing, Madureira's layouts, or the editor for not making it get fixed. Then, for no reason, the story changes focus. At least it is going to be over soon.

Ultimate Iron Man 2 #3: Made of awesome. We get some nice mental chess between three different characters, plus a "How's he gonna get out of this one" ending. With one issue left, I am almost sad it's gone by so fast. I wonder if there will be an Ultimate Iron Man 3.

Ultimate Spider-Man #118: Peter almost has an aneurysm at school. Hilarity ensues. I like Kong a lot in these last few issues. I also like that Liz Allen's hate of mutants is really blossoming into something interesting. Not the Firestar I was expecting.

Ultimate X-Men #90 & 91: Ultimate Apocalypse. Taking what was an interesting story arc with Sinister, and expanding it to show he's not actually as crazy as he seemed. In top of that, the way it has all pretty much been building to this moment over Kirkman's run is beautiful. Apocalypse himself is much scarier than his 616 counterpart already. Even if he looks a little stupid before cyborging out. Best part was seeing how Wolverine got to the physical state he was in when he was Cable. Didn't expect to see that so soon, or ever. I wish I had the rest of this arc to read right now. I don't feel that way often, especially with this series.

No comments: