Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Greatness of DC

So, I am fully willing to admit to being a Marvel guy. Not so much I will not read me some DC stuff. I just like the Marvel Universe better. Can't explain why, since i like a lot of the DC characters better. If asked to name favorite superheroes, most of my picks would be DC. But, if asked to list my favorite comic books they would skew to Marvel. It's not even the creators that do it either. I follow some names, but still read titles I like even if the name I was following has left it. No idea why.

Anyhow, the big thing DC is doing to get my money is this Wednesday Comics thing. A fantastic idea. Weekly comic strips of DC characters, as done by big name creators. I am interested anyhow, just by that alone. Then you get into more details.

BATMAN, WEDNESDAY COMICS’ weekly cover feature, by the Eisner Award-winning 100 BULLETS team of writer Brian Azzarello and artist Eduardo Risso

I never read 100 Bullets, but hear how awesome it is. Enough that I am very intrigued by the team responsible for that doing a Batman story. Sounds like a gritty batman, which is rarely a bad thing in my eyes.


ADAM STRANGE, by writer/artist Paul Pope (BATMAN: YEAR 100)

Paul Pope is one of those guys who I didn't really appreciate when I first saw his work. His art frequently turns me off. But, he is so damned talented that it is hard not to want more. Adam Strange does nothing for me. But, Pope's crazy sci fi leanings would fit well with the character.


METAMORPHO, written by New York Times best-selling writer Neil Gaiman with art by Eisner Award-winner Michael Allred (Madman)

Ok. What the hell DC. Did you read my mind? I will buy anything Neil Gaiman works on. Anything at all. I have a nice collection of comics and novels and movies that he was responsible for. I have a list of cds and books and comics and movies he has works on that i need to get. So, yeah, you had me sold already. Then you add in Mike Allred, who is another guy I will buy anything from, and you have me drooling. Finally, toss in Metamorpho, a character i don't really read but have an immediate fascination and love for based on concept alone. Well, I think you have just earned my money. Big time.


THE DEMON AND CATWOMAN, written by Walter Simonson (Thor, MANHUNTER) with art by famed DC cover artist Brian Stelfreeze

Walt Simonson, he of the pen that made Thor truly divine, writing about The Demon. Sold. Catwoman is just icing on that awesome cake.


DEADMAN, written by Dave Bullock and Vinton Heuck, art by Dave Bullock

Don't know who these dudes are, and don't really care about Deadman. Meh.


KAMANDI, written by Dave Gibbons (WATCHMEN, GREEN LANTERN CORPS) with art by Ryan Sook (Buffy The Vampire Slayer, ARKHAM ASYLUM: LIVING HELL)

Arg. I like Gibbons for his art, but he writing has been solid as well. I will buy a book based on the fact it has a Ryan Sook cover, regardless of interiors. So, yeah, I got to have this. Plus, I love Kamandi's concept. Have been unable to get my hands on anything Kamandi to read, but the Wikipedia article and various descriptions on blogs has be totally there. Hello DC, shall I just give you my bank account now?


SUPERMAN, written by John Arcudi (The Mask) with art by Lee Bermejo (JOKER)

Arcudi has done some stuff i have liked. Bermejo has also done stuff I liked. I know because I know the names. What they did, I have no clue. So, they are good enough for me to know the names, but not for me to know why. Superman is a character I like less and less as I get older. I like the idea he represents, but not the character himself. Still willing to try this one.


WONDER WOMAN, written and illustrated by Ben Caldwell (Dare Detectives)

Means nothing to me.


GREEN LANTERN, written by Kurt Busiek (TRINITY, ASTRO CITY) with art by Joe QuiƱones (TEEN TITANS GO!)

Astor City is pure comics gold. Possibly so good as to be comics platinum. Teen Titans Go! was a series I liked, but rarely for the art. Green Lantern is a character I only care about because of the spectrum of corps being used currently. So, this is about 50% cool to me. With a decent chance of going up based on how it works in reality.


TEEN TITANS, written by Eddie Berganza with art by Sean Galloway

Got nothing here. All depends on the team used, and how angsty it is. I want a cool team, but not really the current one. Titans that are ex sidekicks or legacy supers I like. Low angst I like. We will see.


SUPERGIRL, written by Jimmy Palmiotti (JONAH HEX) with art by Amanda Conner (POWER GIRL)

Oh hell yeah!


HAWKMAN, written and illustrated by Kyle Baker (PLASTIC MAN, Special Forces)

Another hell yeah, for Kyle Baker. He does such crazy fun I cannot pass him up.


SGT. ROCK, written by Adam Kubert (SUPERMAN: LAST SON), ilustrated by legendary comics artist Joe Kubert

Um. What? Kubert and Kubert? Father and son? Working on the comic that really made dad's career? YES, yes. A thousand times yes!


THE FLASH, written by Karl Kerschl (TEEN TITANS YEAR ONE, THE FLASH: THE FASTEST MAN ALIVE) and Brenden Fletcher, illustrated by Karl Kerschl

Yeah. Karl Kerschl is a name I care about because of his Teen Titans: Year One work. Fun comic with great art. So, him on the Flash I may be cool with.


METAL MEN, written by Dan DiDio with art by Ian Churchill (SUPERGIRL)

I love Metal Men. I car little for the team on this. Balances out to no opinion.


Issue #1 on sale July 8; Issue #2 on sale July 15; Issue #3 on sale July 22; Issue #4 on sale July 29 • 1-4 of 12 • 7” x 10”, 16 pg, FC, $3.99 US


16 pages? For $3.99? Damn you DC. I can't afford a $4 weekly series, even if it is only 12 issues. Especially if it is only 16 pages. I don't care how big those pages are, or how they may be folded to appear as or function as more. I have to call this one a loss, because this price inflation is out of hand.

A shame too, since I really really wanted to get this.

No comments: